While wandering around the blog-o-sphere this afternoon, I happened upon the MannLand5 blog’s Getting to Know You post! I decided I would blog the questions before shutting my laptop and beginning studying for my *glorious* statistics exam tomorrow. So, here they are:
1. do you watch/read the news?
I am a Journalism-News Ed major. The news is my passion.
Fox News is my TV news network of choice. However, I try to watch my share of CNN and MSNBC as well, for the sake of not becoming too biased.
My go-to online news source is The Daily Beast
, which is pretty balanced as far as right vs. left goes. Recently I’ve been checking the Drudge Report
. Both of these sources have good twitter accounts that I follow.
When I’m driving, I listen to several news stations on the radio (I actually prefer talk radio to music): WBAP
, and the occasional KCBI
The print news source I consistently read is the NT Daily
, UNT’s student newspaper. I recently joined the staff of the NT Daily as an intern! I hope to be regularly contributing soon…I’m super excited about it!
2. how would you describe your “look”?
Umm…not super designer-y or label-y. I wear a lot of jeans and T-shirts, because that’s easy and I am a college student, after all. I really enjoy dressing up, though. I LOVE Zooey Deschanel’s style
, and if I could switch wardrobes with anyone it would be her, hands down.
3. did you play sports in high school or college?
I was in marching band throughout high school and my freshman year of college. Technically not a *sport*, per se; but I know a lot of people who would challenge that claim.
I have grown to enjoy fitness, but I am NOT a “sporty” person by any means. I tried two brief stints as a lacrosse player. Never again.
4. would you rather give up lipstick/gloss or high heels?
High heels, no contest. Because:
1) I love lip gloss. My favorites are my mentha-mint lip gloss from Bath & Body Works and some Red Velvet cake-flavored lip gloss…also from the Bath & Body Works!
2) High heels HURT. Yes, I look cute in them. Yes, I can work them. …For, like, no longer than an hour. After that, my feet are begging for me to ditch the heels. During my trip to CPAC last year, I made the mistake of spending a whole day roaming Washington, DC while wearing heels. I received blisters so terrible that they caused me to limp for the next few days. I still have scars on my heels from them, in fact. Sorry if that was TMI.
Besides, I’m 5’7″, and heels just make me look even taller. So It’s not like I need them, or anything. Smajstrla women tend to be pretty tall, my little sister is a good inch taller than me!
5. what’s your favorite show to watch on tv?
MAD MEN! I don’t have a TV at the moment, so I own all of the seasons on DVD. I have watched seasons 1-3 and cannot WAIT to start on season 4.
I’ve also seen just about every episode of Ace of Cakes.
6. would you rather bake or cook?
I really enjoy both, and find both therapeutic. I actually don’t like having a meal plan at the moment, because I would rather cook and bake my own food! (of course, I say that now…).
I have baked far more than I have cooked, so I consider myself better at baking. As soon as I move into an apartment with a kitchen I plan on improving my skills at both. Maybe one day I’ll be a full-fledged foodie
7. shorts or skirts?
I find both comfortable. I’d have to choose skirts, though. I like dressing up because 9 times out of 10 I dress super casual.
8. what’s your favorite scary movie?
I have two.
I like Night of the Living Dead
. My cousins (on my mom’s side of the family) and I used to watch this every year on the fourth of July while I was growing up. Why the fourth of July and not a more appropriate day, like HALLOWEEN, I don’t know. It’s a strange tradition, but a sentimentally valuable one nonetheless. My cousins and siblings used to chase each other around, arms stretched overhead, saying, “They’re coming to get you, Barbara!” Ah, childhood.
I also like Paranormal Activity. It seems that everyone I meet who has seen it either really likes it or really hates it. I really like it. I find its background/production story interesting, so that factors into me liking it more.
Can’t wait to do more of these 🙂
Peace and Love,